Spring Sports Showcase

Jordan D'Silva, Editor

They’ve trained, they’ve fought, they’ve won, and now it is time to give them their dues and recognize the championships they have brought us and the tradition they have established.

The spring sports recently wrapped up and the results were phenomenal as district championships were brought in abundantly and the first sport we must recognize is our Sunnyvale High School track team.

Overall, there were twelve individuals that competed at the State meet in Austin, Tx. They competed well and showed true Raider Pride! Caira Pettway had the best finish as she raced to second place in the 100m. Hunter Allen also competed at a high level finishing in 4th place in the 110m hurdles. The 4×200 relay girls and boys team’s also finished 4th. This strong finish to the season bodes well for next season that will have a strong cast of seniors leading.

Our district champion tennis team is the next sport deserving honors. Moving on from their dominant district matches, they took on the regional meet in Tyler and performed with excellence. Jimmie Henson placed 3rd place in singles and qualified for state as an alternate.  Daylan Howig and Lisa Evans also performed well placing 4th in mixed doubles. Great job Raiders!

Now on to the defending state-champion Raider baseball team, who finished with another impressive season winning district once again over Palmer. Their playoff run, however was stifled against tough Glen Rose team. Nevertheless, we are proud of them for their efforts and to the seniors that helped guide Sunnyvale to its first state ring. This will definitely be a class to remember.

The last team on our Spring Showcase is our Raider softball. Now if there is any team who showed heart on this list, it is the seniors on the softball team. They faced a tough road, but finished second in district and were then given the tough assignment of beating powerhouse Grandview in a two out of three series. Though they pushed them to the edge, they were eventually outed. This, however does not diminish the great season they had. Congratulations Raiders!