5 Ways to Make the Most of High School

Sally Senior, Editor

As a senior looking back on my time in high school, there are several things I wish I had known from the beginning. Here are 5 tips on making the most of your time in high school:

Make the most of your time in class. Be intentional about how you spend your time at school. If you are given time in class to work on assignments, use it! It will make the biggest difference in allowing you to stay on top of things and will give you more time to spend doing the things you want to do at home. I used to spend all of my free time in class watching Netflix and YouTube, and still do from time to time, but am always grateful to myself when I use my class-time wisely.

Be intentional about how you spend your time outside of school, too. Maintaining a social life is important, but make sure to also keep some time for yourself to relax, work on assignments, or other things to keep on top of your busy schedule. Naps will be your best friend, or at least they have been mine, so make time for them so they don’t cut into the time you should be using to do homework. Also, get out of the house and go hang out with friends, go to dinner, or to a movie and make the memories you’ll actually want to remember from your time in high school.

Do what is best for you. When it comes time to choose classes, choose ones you are actually interested in or really need to take, rather than only the classes your friends are taking. While having friends in your classes is super fun, it’s also good to get out of your comfort zone! You will probably end up getting more work done anyways and making some new friends in the process.

Organization is key. Keeping track of upcoming due dates and assignments is super helpful by letting you can plan exactly what you need to get done and when. Find a system that works best for you, whether it be using sticky notes for to-do lists, a calendar with major assignment deadlines and tests, or a planner, and keep it updated. A little bit of planning goes a long way in terms of time management and you will be thankful later on.

Keep your eye on the prize. Hard work is important and it will pay off when it comes senior year and you’re applying for college, scholarships, or even if you are looking to go directly into your career. While grades are not everything, they are still something! The grades you get in your early years of high school don’t go away, so put in the work now so you can relax a bit more when you get into tougher classes your junior and senior years. Don’t give up!