The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

Help From 600 Miles Away

Gift card donations from SHS students.

Gift card donations from SHS students.

Paige Nelson and Melissa Sigala

On August 25, 2017, Harvey arrived. As the third-costliest, and the strongest hurricane to hit the United States in 12 years, while leaving 66 currently confirmed deceased, Harvey caused massive destruction in Central America and the southern United States.

Just because Sunnyvale is 600 miles away, doesn’t mean students here weren’t affected. Many of the students’ family members were impacted, and one spoke out to share their story.

My cousins’ house was destroyed and needs to be rebuilt,” freshman David De Los Santos said. “They came down to Sunnyvale to join the school and live here for a while.”

The De Los Santos’s felt emotionally distraught and stranded for the first part of the hurricane, like most would. David told The Sentinel that what they were most upset about were the many pictures that were lost and water damaged due to Harvey. The family left before any Red Cross assistance was needed. Currently, they are in a stable situation and are expected to stay for a year or two, depending on when their home and neighborhood can be rebuilt.

“The National Hurricane Center has been blunt, saying this morning that “catastrophic flooding [is] expected across portions of southern and southeastern Texas”,” said The Washington Post.

At its peak, it was a Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Harvey brought in not only raging waters, but raging winds up to 130 mph. Breaking the record of rainfall that was previously set in 1978, there was a whopping 52 inches of rainfall on August 30th. It’s destruction path completely demolished 44,084 square miles of wetlands, farms, homes, and schools. This wasn’t an overnight occurrence though, it was over a period of eight days.

I had an immediate desire to get involved and volunteer however I could, when I heard Harvey hit landfall,” Red Cross volunteer and Sunnyvale resident Kayla Nelson said. “I wanted to provide to those affected with a moment of comfort during their most vulnerable time.”

The Red Cross has been a saving grace for so many displaced and affected people for many years. They are known to quickly come to the aid of families in need after natural disasters take place. Thousands of touched citizens felt the need to give where needed, just like Nelson did. Volunteers have been pouring into Red Cross centers all across the south coast to get trained, and get prepared to help those who can’t help themselves. Many couldn’t donate their time, so they donated, and are still continuing to donate, the necessities needed to survive in a situation like this.

“Many of these people had to leave their homes in a hurry, with only a small bag of items or even just the clothes on their backs,” dual-credit English teacher and DHT sponsor Sara McLaughlin said. McLaughlin is heading up volunteer efforts at SHS. “With that in mind, a lot of people need everything from personal hygiene items to clothes and shoes. Gift cards are also a way to ensure people are able to get exactly what they need.”

Here at SHS, students have decided to team up and help out the people affected by this tragic event. McLaughlin came up with a list of items the students and staff could bring to donate to the victims. Baby items like diapers are a huge need right now. Different canned food, towels, hygiene products, children’s toys or games, pillows, and any new clothes or socks/shoes would also be greatly appreciated. The items that are collected will be sent with a group of administrators and students to the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Center in Dallas for victims on behalf of Sunnyvale ISD. Donations of $10 can be made by texting HARVEY to 90999. For more information on ways to help out or how to sign up to be a volunteer for the Red Cross, contact 800-733-2767.

The Red Cross needs many more able bodies to help shelter, feed, and provide emotional support,” Nelson said. “The Red Cross values its generous volunteers who help fulfill its mission- to provide relief to victims of disaster. Anyone can make a difference.”

• Help From 600 Miles Away

News

Sunnyvale Marching Invitational (SMI) Competition

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Features

Fair Treats From Home

• Entertainment

SHS Staff Shabooyah

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

• Help From 600 Miles Away

News

Mr. Williams Updates SHS on Construction Progress

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

• Help From 600 Miles Away

Entertainment

Sunnyvale’s Got Talent

Help From 600 Miles Away