Raiders Take a Day to Honor

Back to Article
Back to Article

Raiders Take a Day to Honor

Mary-Kate Hisaw, Editor

Friday, November 11th, NHS held the annual Veteran’s Day program to honor all local veterans. There were approximately 50 veterans in attendance.

“We wanted the Veterans to know that we appreciate their service and the sacrifices they made for us,” NHS officer Maddie McKnight said.

The guest speaker, Ray Stephens, was a former Marine and served with various units which include infantry units, counterterrorism units, drill instructor duty at Parris Island, and Presidential support at Camp David. Stephens told the audience about his operations within Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti, and Iraq. He also challenged the student body to always be aware of the veterans and thank them for their service.

“When we heard about all of Mr. Stephens service, we thought he would be a excellent speaker for the program,” NHS President Radhika Nune said.

The program featured performances by SHS choir and band members, as well as an appearance from the Elementary Pre-K class singing the song “Thank You.” The program concluded with a video to show our appreciation for those who have served and are currently serving our country. It also recognized family members of the SHS staff and student body who have served.

“I was so impressed by the detailed planning and organization that went into the flawless event. I have not felt that appreciated as a Veteran since I left the military over 20 years ago,” chemistry teacher Patricia Borders said.