The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

Mock Election Teaches Political Lessons

Paige Nelson, Editor

Sunnyvale High School finished their second Mock Election last Wed., Nov. 2. Most of the votes went to Trump (47.3%) with Clinton claiming 33.1% out of 169 who voted. Students voted online during activity period.

The candidates for president this year have been controversial. The 2016 election has been all over the news as being one of the most important elections ever because of the need to replace a supreme court justice, which could sway the opinion of the bench.

Although the SHS election results may have ended how the majority of our school predicted, the real election seemed to not follow that model. As Clinton won the popular vote, it seemed as if she would be our new president. Plot twist: Trump ended up winning the election with a final tally of his 289 electoral votes, to Clinton’s 228 electoral votes.

The results went as I had expected,” sophomore Stephanie Shim said. “I had predicted that Trump would win in the Mock Election since I found that the majority of the people at our school favored Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton.”

Just like the Mock Election, people who are able to vote, don’t. The entire student body and faculty was invited to participate in the Mock Election and only 169 voted. Whether this was due to not knowing where or how to vote, not wanting to, or being too lazy to cast an opinion is a parallel relationship to this year’s election. There are 209 million U.S. citizens above the age of 18 currently living in the United States and only around 55% ended up voting. First-time voter and senior Ivy Alexander vote her first voting experience fairly easy.

My experience on voting for the first time went pretty smooth,” Alexander said. “I went early before school during my free period and the line was very short. I almost immediately went up to the booth to place my vote. It was a lot simpler than I imagined it would be.”

Voters in the US aired their grievances about the issues that mattered to them, although such issues haven’t changed much over time.

“Sadly, the issues are very similar as they were 30 plus years ago,” SHS principal’s secretary and Sunnyvale Town Councilperson Karen Hill said. “We are still dealing with immigration issues, taxes, jobs and social security. It is disappointing that these key issues have not been resolved in so many years. With lots of opinions it is difficult to get a large group of people to agree on everything.”

• Mock Election Teaches Political Lessons

News

Raider Cheer Takes 5th in State

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

Entertainment

Sunnyvale’s Got Talent

• Opinions

No ‘No Shave November’ at SHS

Features

Friday Night Life

News

Raiders Take a Day to Honor

News

Homecoming Traditions Alive at SISD

Features

SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Showcase

Raiders Look Beyond Ranking and Prepare to Win the Day

Features

New Drill Team Debuts at Football Games

Mock Election Teaches Political Lessons