The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

A Growing Family

Rachel Saucier, Editor

Sunnyvale is a fast-growing town and SISD has implemented new services to help accommodate its dynamically growing size. New bus routes, staggered school bell schedules, and a before-school daycare are some of the changes the district is providing to adjust to the town’s new size.

Our growth not only at the high school campus, but the entire district, is staggering, yet a positive sign that we are doing the right things as a school district. It is vitally important that we all continue to promote and model the Sunnyvale way!” said Sunnyvale High School principal, Ronald Sterling.

According to Stacey Bellows, SISD’s Director of Human Resources, these numbers show just how much Sunnyvale has grown since 2008:

School Year Total Enrollment at SHS
2008-2009 155
2009-2010 249
2012-2013 387
2015-2016 442
2016-2017 491

SISD Enrollment Information (source: Stacy Bellows, Director of Human Resources)

As growth continues, traffic around Sunnyvale has become a problem, especially in the mornings before school and at dismissal. The area right right around the schools on Collins Road is very congested. To help alleviate traffic, new campus start times and bus route have been implemented. The first bell is now 8:20 a.m. at the elementary school, 7:45 a.m. at the middle school, and 7:40 a.m. at the high school.
Overall, I feel that the new district start times have been very beneficial to our community. Due to the rapid grow of the district and Sunnyvale community, traffic in previous years caused several issues for everyone. Shortage in school bus routes and traffic flow throughout the community became a major issue, and I was pleased that our school administration took a proactive approach  to help ensure student safety and adequate traffic flow throughout community,” said Sterling.

Since the elementary school does not open till 8:00 a.m, Raider Station has now opened. Raider Station is a before-school daycare for kids ranging from Pre-K to 4th grade. Kids are provided with activities and a bus ride to the elementary school. This is a huge helping hand to working parents who have kids in different campuses in the district.

“Because of the increase in traffic around our campuses and the change in campus start times, we felt it was important to offer parents a way to ease their morning commutes and provide families with as much support as possible for busy mornings,” Director of Assessment and Accountability Amy Tutle said in an interview with The Sunnyvale Times, SISD’s district newsletter.

• A Growing Family

News

Raider Cheer Takes 5th in State

• A Growing Family

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

• A Growing Family

Entertainment

Sunnyvale’s Got Talent

• Opinions

No ‘No Shave November’ at SHS

• A Growing Family

Features

Friday Night Life

• A Growing Family

News

Mock Election Teaches Political Lessons

• A Growing Family

News

Raiders Take a Day to Honor

• A Growing Family

News

Homecoming Traditions Alive at SISD

• A Growing Family

Features

SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

• A Growing Family

Showcase

Raiders Look Beyond Ranking and Prepare to Win the Day

A Growing Family