Five Questions with Mr. Novak

Back to Article
Back to Article

Five Questions with Mr. Novak

Rachael Stevens, Editor

We interviewed Mr. Novak, the new middle school band director, and asked him a few questions to get to know a little bit about him. When asked about what led him to become a band director he said, “I think that the real draw for me to become a teacher occurred in middle school, though I never really accepted it until 2 years into college. I wanted so badly to be a part of the high school band program. I was mesmerized by the high school band and director at the time. Little did I know…” Little did he know that he would later come to direct the Sunnyvale Middle School Band. 

We then asked him about his hobbies in his own high school, “I was a super nerd and proud of it!” He said, “I was a busy member of NHS, the math team, Band, a state competitor in HOSA, and a member of the El Paso Youth Jazz Ensemble.”

Mr. Novak spoke about how he was super impressed by the people in Sunnyvale, “I was blown away by how friendly and approachable everyone is. It was apparent that people enjoy being here and try to aspire to a high level of success.” 

We asked him what his goals were, he answered by saying that, “I’m trying to get better as a teacher every day and continue to give my students the best information possible. I always try to be an inspiration by becoming a better performer at my own instrument.”

The last question we asked him was- what was his guilty pleasure?  He told us that his guilty pleasure was in fact, “Fast cars and playing pool- two hobbies I’ve been into my entire life!”

We look forward to working with Mr. Novak and watching his growth in our band and in our school!!