The Sentinel

Distinguished Alumnus 2018

ALLEEOOPS PHOTOGRAPHY

ALLEEOOPS PHOTOGRAPHY

Katie Threet, Editor

The Sunnyvale Alumni Association has named Tricia Clifton its Distinguished Alumnus of the Year for 2018. The community will honor Clifton during homecoming week, where she will act as Grand Marshall of the Homecoming Parade on Oct. 20 and be recognized at halftime of the Sept. 27 game against Roosevelt.

“It’s always great to see former students excel in their career field,” Superintendent Doug Williams said. “Ms. Clifton is an outstanding example of what we hope we are preparing our students for.”

Clifton currently serves as CASA of Collin County’s Executive Director, where she works to promote and protect the best interests of children who have been abused and neglected. Passionate about community service, Clifton has also led teams at WorldVentures Foundation, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Back on My Feet and Youth Villages.

“My life began with struggles and I have seen my fair share of life’s hardships,” Clifton said. “I never let those losses or struggles define who I was or who I was meant to be. I chose not to be the victim of circumstance and instead, to be a fighter for those in need.”

Clifton attended school at Sunnyvale Schools from third grade through the eighth grade. She was involved with the fine arts and athletic programs during her time at school, playing every sport and learning to play an instrument. Clifton recounts memories of her school days pleasantly, remembering her fellow classmates and the connections they shared.

“What I loved most about my experience was the small close-knit friendships that were formed along the way,” Clifton said. “I am still in touch with many of my Sunnyvale friends to this day. I have very fond memories of my time at Sunnyvale and have lifelong friends as a result.”

Clifton reminds current Sunnyvale students of their value and potential in life. She offers them the following advice on pursuing their goals:

“Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you are not good enough or smart enough,” she advises. “You are unique by creation and can do anything that you put your mind and your heart to.”

Clifton graduated from the University of North Texas and earned her Master’s degree in Professional Counseling from Amberton University. She and her husband, Trey, and their two children, Asher and Brinley.

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Showcase

Fall Sports Gear up for the Season

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Entertainment

Fall Play Debuts in October

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Features

Anonymous Tip Line

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

News

Small Town, Big Growth

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

News

SHS Points Out The Positive

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

• Distinguished Alumnus 2018

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

The student news site of Sunnyvale High School
Distinguished Alumnus 2018