The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

Fair Treats From Home

Kelsey Pormasdoro and Katie Threet

Fruit loops. Funnel cake. Burgers. Queso. Soup. Deep fryers. Put these together for a unique combination of culinary treats created by our very own.

Every year, state fair concessionaires have the option to enter their creations in the Big Tex Choice Awards where they are judged based on 3 categories: Best Taste – Sweet, Best Taste – Savory, and Most Creative. Out of this year’s 10 Big Tex Choice Award finalists, 3 are from Sunnyvale.

It’s exciting and fun to meet all of the fairgoers who stop by to enjoy it,Gracie Whitley said.

One of the three is Tom Grace. After 28 years of serving food at the Fried Food Capital of the World, Grace is no stranger to the fair. His newest creation, the Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger, won two of the three awards, Best Taste-Savory and Most Creative.

“I really liked the funnel cake and queso combined,” fairgoer Madison D’Elia said. “It was really unique and no one has ever done something like it before.”

In addition, the Whitleys debuted their Deep Fried Froot Loops, and despite it being its first time served at the fair, it impressively finished as a Big Tex Choice Sweet Finalist.  

“Froot Loops is typically thought of as a breakfast food, but we love Froot Loops,” Whitley said. “We eat them at any time so we decided to find a way to deep fry this delicious cereal. It took a couple of months to come up with the process.  Lots of practice and tasting sessions were needed to come up with a recipe that would deep fry well and taste great.

The Howard family took a twist on a classic favorite with their creation of Deep Fried Chicken Noodle Soup on a Stick. The dish was awarded as a Savory Finalist and is sure to be a crowd favorite.

“I love that my family has a booth at the State Fair!” junior Emery Howard said. “The demand for food at the fair is very high so we have to begin the preparation and the making of food a whole month in advance. While it is very exhausting and you get hardly any sleep for 24 days, the end result is so worth it.”

To get a bite of these tasty, award-winning treats, stop by the Food Court during your next visit to the fair.

• Fair Treats From Home

News

Sunnyvale Marching Invitational (SMI) Competition

• Entertainment

SHS Staff Shabooyah

• Fair Treats From Home

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

• Fair Treats From Home

News

Help From 600 Miles Away

• Fair Treats From Home

News

Mr. Williams Updates SHS on Construction Progress

• Fair Treats From Home

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

• Fair Treats From Home

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

• Fair Treats From Home

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

• Fair Treats From Home

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

• Fair Treats From Home

Entertainment

Sunnyvale’s Got Talent

Fair Treats From Home