The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Haley Settle, Editor

Football Sweetheart

Neethu Issac
Neethu has attended Sunnyvale since the sixth grade. She is a member of NHS, StuCO, Tennis, German Club, HOSA, UIL, and DHT. Neethu is a member of the SHS Training Staff. After graduation, she plans to attend St. John’s University or Texas Woman’s University and major in Pharmacy or Physical Therapy. Congratulations, Neethu!

Band Sweetheart

Nyssa Kantorek
Nyssa has attended Sunnyvale since Kindergarden. She is involved in the Raider Pride Marching Band, NHS, HOSA and Student Council. She is in the top 10% and on A Honor Roll. She plans to study Pre-Medicine in College next year. Congratulations, Nyssa!

Band Beau

Seth Fredrickson
Seth has attended Sunnyvale since he eighth grade. He is involved in the Raider Pride Band, NHS, Cross Country, Student Council, and Academic UIL. After graduation, Seth plans on serving a two year mission for his church, and then attending Brigham Young University. Congratulations, Seth!

Homecoming Queen Nominees

Jordan Griffin
Jordan had attended Sunnyvale since Kindergarten. Her activities include Basketball, Track, NHS, FCA, Do Hard Things, and Academic UIL. Jordan is a 2015 Basketball State Champion, Basketball 2nd team all-district 2016, 2015-2016 Basketball Academic all-district, National Merit Commended Scholar, three-year UIL regional qualifier, and a 2015 State qualifier in editorial writing. Jordan is heavily involved in the youth group at Community Life Church, leading an underclassmen small group, volunteering in the nursery, and going on mission trips. After graduation, Jordan plans the major in Business. Congratulations, Jordan!

Madeline McKnight
Maddie has attended Sunnyvale since Kindergarten. Maddie’s activities have included cross country, volleyball, track, and HOSA. She is an officer in NHS and captain of varsity cheer and a member of student council and Do Hard Things. After graduation, she plans to attend Texas A&M or Baylor and major in Allied Health. Congratulations, Maddie!

Lauryn Statham
Lauryn has attended Sunnyvale since he fifth grade. Her activities include Daybreak Varsity Choir, SHS Theater, and she has also competed in sports. She has received all star cast and best actress award for numerous plays. After graduation, lauren plans to attend college and major in musical theater. Congratulations, Lauryn!

Homecoming King Nominees

Luke Bryant
Luke has attended Sunnyvale since the fourth grade. He is a member of the football team, FCA, NHS, Do Hard Things, SHS Player’s Council and captain of the SHS Soccer Team. Luke has been twice named Academic All-District and is a state football quarter finalist. He is actively involved in the C-Life Youth Group, is a CG leader for Middle School Boys, and enjoys going on mission trips. After graduation, Luke plans to attend college where he can major in medicine. Congratulations, Luke!

Kyle Garza
Kyle has attended Sunnyvale since the 2nd grade. He is a member of the football, track and powerlifting teams. He is on the Player’s Council, NHS, FCA, PALs and is an officer of the FCA. Kyle has received All-District and Academic All-District honor, has been named Player of the Week, Student of the Month and will graduate with 42 dual credit hours. He is actively involved in his Youth Group, participating in mission trips to Guatemala and New Mexico. After graduation, Kyle plans to attend Texas A&M University where he will major in business. Congratulations, Kyle!

Cash Goodhart
Cash has attended Sunnyvale since Kindergarten. He is a member of the football, basketball, track and baseball teams. He is involved in Do Hard Things, NHS, and was a junior class officer. Cash is also a State Baseball Champion. After graduation, he plans to attend Princeton University, play football and major in pre-medicine. Congratulations, Cash!

Miss SHS Nominees

Sharon Thomas
Sharon has attended Sunnyvale since 7th grade. She is the HOSA President and Vice President for Student Council and National Honor Society. She is also a member of Business Professionals of America. This past year, Sharon was a national qualifier for Health Occupations Students of America and National History Day. Outside of school, Sharon is a worship leader at her church. After graduation, she plans to attend college and major in pre-medicine so that she will be a pediatrician. Congrats, Sharon!

Caitie Wells
Caitie has attended Sunnyvale since the 10th grade. Her activities include being a two-year co-captain of SHS volleyball, receiving District Setter of the Year her sophomore and junior year. She is a member of the softball team, receiving first team all district as well. Caitie is a member of NHS, SHS Theater, and Do Hard Things. After graduation, Caitie’s plan is to attend college and major in Communications. Congrats, Caitie!

Karlee Williams
Karlee has attended Sunnyvale since 7th grade. She is an FCA Officer, a member of the National Honor Society, DHT, Student Council, SHS Basketball, Volleyball, Softball, Choir and Theater. She is heavily involved in her church youth group, participating in mission trips and teaching 2nd grade Sunday School classes. Karlee plans to attend Baylor University and major in Interior Design or Sports Management. Congrats, Karlee!

Mr. SHS Nominees

Jacob Brooks
Jacob has attended SISD since the fourth grade. He is on the SHS tennis team and is a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He is also a member of NHS. Throughout high school, Jacob has qualified for the Regional Tennis Tournament and has been given the prestigious SHS Award each year. He actively plays USTA tennis and is involved in REACH mission trips. Next year, Jacob will attend Dallas Baptist University where he will be playing tennis for the DBU Patriots. He plans on majoring in Sports Management. Congrats, Jacob!

Tre Sterling
Tre came to SHS in the 10th grade. Throughout high school, he has been involved in NHS, theater, football, basketball, track and student council. In 2015, Tre was named Sports Day Player of the Week. He was named First Team All-District in football for two years, All-State football and Defensive Player of the Year in basketball. After graduation, he plans to attend college to major in Computer Animation and Design. Congrats, Tre!

Luke Van Vessem
Luke has attended Sunnyvale ISD since eighth grade. Luke is a member of varsity mixed choir and is an FCA officer. In 2016, he was selected for the Texas All-State Choir. Luke is a member of the Community Life Church, where he leads worship and a middle school community group. Luke plans on continuing his education at Dallas Baptist University where he will major in Music Performance or Music Education. Congratulations, Luke!

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

News

Sunnyvale Marching Invitational (SMI) Competition

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Showcase

Car Hoarders: Sunnyvale Edition

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Features

Fair Treats From Home

• Entertainment

SHS Staff Shabooyah

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

News

Help From 600 Miles Away

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

News

Mr. Williams Updates SHS on Construction Progress

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

• SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees