The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

Senior Year Checklist

Haley Settle and Rachel Saucier

Senior year is a whirlwind of activities, tests and overwhelming responsibilities. Luckily, seniors have hope for a bright end to their high school career called college. With a little (or a lot) of help from administrators and teachers, seniors will be prepared as soon as they walk across the stage. There are numerous things that senior must ‘check of their list’ before they are truly college ready.

Tests: It’s important to have your ACT/SAT taken as soon as possible in your senior year so you can avoid the stress of the tests when the deadlines come up behind you.

Applying for colleges: Most applications open up in August but different schools have different application deadlines. Make sure you do your research and keep in mind deadlines for colleges you’re interested in. The earlier you apply the better.

Seniors should start applying as soon as they possibly can,” senior Jordan Griffin said. “Most applications allow you to save after entering some information, so don’t panic if you don’t have test scores back yet.”

High School Project: If you are like the majority of seniors, you are participating in doing a high school project. Make sure you are keeping up with deadlines with that and meeting periodically with Mrs. Brooks.

Meeting with Mr. Mitchell: Mr. Mitchell’s job is to answer your millions questions regarding the college process- do not be afraid to email him or stop by his office! “Students should be proactive and start working on their college applications at the beginning of the fall, rather than waiting until the week of the deadline” College and Career Readiness Advisor Clark Mitchell said. “My door is always open and I am more than happy to assist the students at anytime.”

Transcript: You will need to make sure to request transcripts through Naviance. Schools won’t consider you for scholarships (and some admission) without your test scores and transcript sent by SHS.

Scholarship: There are three essential ways to receive scholarships: 1) Institutional – these are scholarships given by colleges that are usually offered in January or closer to graduation 2) Scholarship Search Engines – on Naviance and Mr. Mitchell’s web page there are search engines for various scholarships you can apply for and 3) Capping Ceremony – there are scholarships awarded by the school board, the booster, SEF, school organizations, etc. that aren’t awarded until the capping ceremony in April.

There are many ways to get scholarships other than athletics. Academics, ethnicities, businesses or corporations, organizations such as PTA and SEF are just a few different avenues for scholarships. Scholarships can be searched and applied for through Naviance,” said SHS academic administrator Jennifer Settle.

College Visits: You truly never know if a college is right for you until you experience the campus itself. All colleges (or at least that we’ve heard of) host campus tours given by upperclassmen students at the universities. College visits let you compare different schools regarding dorm rooms, dining halls, the city they’re in, etc.

FAFSA: FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the largest financial assistance provider in the nation. All students must fill out a FAFSA form if they interested in financial aid for college. FAFSA opens up Oct.1.

STAY MOTIVATED: Seniors can overcome “senioritis” by remembering the Golden Rule. If you want to be treated like a young adult, then they have to remember to act like one. Also, seniors have to keep in mind that one of their charges is to pass on positive SHS traditions to younger students. By senior year, we hope that they will be mindful that younger students are watching them and be good role models and leaders on campus,” said Settle.

• Senior Year Checklist

News

Sunnyvale Marching Invitational (SMI) Competition

• Senior Year Checklist

Features

Fair Treats From Home

• Entertainment

SHS Staff Shabooyah

• Senior Year Checklist

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

• Senior Year Checklist

News

Help From 600 Miles Away

• Senior Year Checklist

News

Mr. Williams Updates SHS on Construction Progress

• Senior Year Checklist

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

• Senior Year Checklist

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

• Senior Year Checklist

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

• Senior Year Checklist

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

Senior Year Checklist