The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

New Drill Team Debuts at Football Games

Kelsey Pormasdoro, Editor

This year, the district introduced the first-ever high school drill team, the Star Steppers. Last year was the first year for the middle school drill team, the Jr. Stars, but the addition of the Star Steppers is significantly different.

“Middle school drill team only performs at home games, one pep rally, and one basketball game, so the practices were pretty much over by January,” Star Stepper director Tiffany Dixon said. “High school drill team is a whole other beast. You have all football games, pep rallies, basketball games, homecoming events, school and district events, parades and so much more. We will have practices and events through most of the year.”

The coming of a high school drill team was inevitable, especially because of the rising interest among students and growth of the district.

“I’ve lived in Sunnyvale for almost six years and every year I would say, ‘Sunnyvale really needs a drill team,” Dixon said. “I knew there were girls who didn’t want to do cheer, choir, drama, band or athletics but they wanted to be a part of a team and drill team was the answer. When I had a parent meeting last spring and realized that six seniors were very interested in doing drill team, I said we have to do this, so these six girls can experience drill team for at least one year.”

The hard work put into preparing for this year began at the end of last school year with tryouts in May and camp in June. However, the work doesn’t stop there.

“I decided this first year we would have a home camp instead of going to camp,” Dixon said. “This first week in August we started having practices two nights a week until school started. Since I don’t have a drill team or dance class at the high school, we have to practice after school usually at night. We practice two nights a week and early Friday morning with the band.”

Although this is just the beginning, Dixon and the rest of the district looks forward to the growth and improvement of the team for the years to come.

“I think after seeing the girls in their uniforms and on the football field under the lights, more girls will want to join next year. In the future I hope we continue to grow and have more girls each year want to join our team and be a part of this new tradition at Sunnyvale.”

• New Drill Team Debuts at Football Games

News

Sunnyvale Marching Invitational (SMI) Competition

Features

Fair Treats From Home

• Entertainment

SHS Staff Shabooyah

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

News

Help From 600 Miles Away

News

Mr. Williams Updates SHS on Construction Progress

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

New Drill Team Debuts at Football Games