The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

Star Wars: The Force (Finally) Awakens

tfa_poster_wide_header-1536x864-324397389357A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (1977 to be exact), George Lucas released Star Wars, starting a long journey of cinematic greatness and trilogies laced with revolutionary special effects. Before the prequel trilogy came out in the 90’s, in 1983, Star Wars: Episode VI- Return of the Jedi ended with a failed attempt by the Emperor to turn Luke Skywalker to the Dark side, Darth Vader throwing the Emperor down a hole, the death of Darth Vader, the explosion of the Death Star, and Luke Skywalker staring profoundly at the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Darth Vader in the distance.

Star Wars: Episode VII,The Force Awakens –   a new addition to the Star Wars franchise, directed by J.J. Abrams,  lived up to its high expectations this past winter with its exceptional new actors (while still holding on dearly to a few Star Wars veterans) and a genius plot line (shout out to Abrams). The lights turn off, the music stars, and the famous preliminary yellow writing begins to scroll along the screen before the movie, telling us that the First Order has risen from the fallen Empire and is opposed by the Resistance (backed by the Republic and led by Princess Leia) and both sides are looking for the long lost jedi master- Luke Skywalker.

The Force Awakens introduces a handful of new characters: Kylo Ren, Rey, Finn, and Supreme Leader Snoke. This movie also incited MANY predictions and theories from all the fellow Star Wars geeks out there.

First of all… who is this Rey girl? We discover that she not only obtains the Force but is strong enough to block Kylo Ren from retrieving secrets from her mind. Rumors of Rey being Luke’s daughter immediately surfaced, backed up by the evidence of similar upbringings, the flashback she felt when first touching Luke’s lightsaber, having a strong force, etc. Maybe that’s why Luke went into hiding. Jedi’s aren’t allowed to marry and have children but can’t show affection (can you say daddy issues?). Also a popular theory goes back to George Lucas’ original plot theme in the Star Wars novels where Princess Leia and Han Solo have TWINS (Spoiler: the evil Kylo Ren is Han Solo and Leia’s son) and that Rey is the other twin which would make the most epic sibling rivalry ever. But the movies don’t exactly follow the novels, sadly. 

A Tumblr post regarding whether Kylo-Ren has truly gone to the Dark Side or not went viral, and also suggested that he was trying to destroy the First Order from the inside. The evidence of this theory would be Kylo-Ren’s emotional distress (a nice way to say he’s kind of a cry baby in a few scenes), and that scene when he’s talking to Darth Vader’s beat up helmet and says he’s going to “finish what he started”. Obviously, Kylo-Ren could be asking for guidance to the Dark Side OR (less obviously), to finish Darth Vader’s attempt to destroy the Dark Side. This theory could be debunked by the fact he (SPOILER ALERT!!!!) killed his own father, but maybe that was to show his loyalty to the Dark Side.

I guess we will have to wait till May 26, 2017 to find out more answers. Until then, May the Force be with you.

• Star Wars: The Force (Finally) Awakens

News

Sunnyvale Marching Invitational (SMI) Competition

Features

Fair Treats From Home

• Entertainment

SHS Staff Shabooyah

Features

Sunnyvale Homecoming 2017- Our Time to Shine

News

Help From 600 Miles Away

News

Mr. Williams Updates SHS on Construction Progress

Entertainment

SHS Cribs: “Welcome to the Theatre Room”

Entertainment

Fine Arts Kick Off the Fall With Musical, New Band Program

Features

Sunnyvale ISD Alumni Association Names Local Entrepreneur Distinguished Alumnus of the Year

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

Star Wars: The Force (Finally) Awakens