The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

Winter Athletic Round-Up

Mary-Kate Hisaw Cambelle Starnes, Editor

Girls’ Basketball– Tuesday night the Lady Raider basketball team had a big win over Triple A Academy making them 10-0 in district and 26-3 overall. Friday Jan. 20th, head coach Jill McDill claimed her 500th win at the A+ Academy game. She was recognized on CBS 11 News and was presented with a commemorative ball after the game Tuesday. Recently, Avionne Alexander, Madison D’Elia, Claire Knight, and Kinsley Troutman were named area leaders in points, rebounds, and assists for the season. With district over halfway finished and playoffs approaching, the Lady Raiders look to claim more district victories and continue to prepare for playoffs.

Boys’ Basketball– This year’s boy’s basketball team has won a total of 14 games and having a district record of 5-3. Though they lost their game Tuesday with a score of 60-54, they are determined to work and to get better every practice. The team will continue to prepare for playoffs as their district season comes to an end.

Girls’ Soccer– The Lady Raider soccer team have had a great season so far with their current preseason record being 4-3. Captains Carli Hernandez, Chyna Shaver, and April Pate have helped lead the team and improve the team during practice.  This will be the very first year Sunnyvale girls’ soccer will compete in district play and have a chance to advance to playoffs.

Boys’ Soccer– The boys’ soccer team has had a great preseason with an overall record of 4-1-3. Competing in many tournaments, the Raiders strive to become better as a team and prepare for the beginning of their district season.

Raider Swim– Saturday, Jan. 21st, the two-person Raider swim team competed and came in 6th place overall at the district meet. Stephanie Shim, came came in 1st in the breaststroke and 2nd in the 200M and  senior, Emily Manly, came in 1st in both the 500 freestyle and 200IM. Manly also received the honor of being named athlete of the meet! Both swimmers will advance to the Regional meet.

Raider Powerlifting– Saturday, January 21st, the SHS powerlifting team won 1st place against 20 different teams. Many Raiders competed in this competition and many awards were won by the SHS team. Cody Coldwell won 1st place with a bench of 165, Brayson Yates won 4th place with a bench weight of 165, Bryan Bunger won 3rd place with a bench weight of 220, Jason Molina won 4th place with a bench weight of 22, JP Salas won 2nd place with a bench weight of 275, Jobin Chiriyal won 4th in the SHW category, and Marcus Alexander won 5th place in the SHW category.

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

News

Raider Cheer Takes 5th in State

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

Entertainment

Sunnyvale’s Got Talent

• Opinions

No ‘No Shave November’ at SHS

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

Features

Friday Night Life

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

News

Mock Election Teaches Political Lessons

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

News

Raiders Take a Day to Honor

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

News

Homecoming Traditions Alive at SISD

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

Features

SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

Showcase

Raiders Look Beyond Ranking and Prepare to Win the Day

• Winter Athletic Round-Up

Features

New Drill Team Debuts at Football Games

Winter Athletic Round-Up