The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

“Bobby was not only a good student, but he was also willing to live by his principles.  It seems that integrity is becoming a rare commodity in today’s world.  Bobby certainly is a person of integrity, and that kind of character trait is what sets him apart.”

– Mrs. Williams

In continuation of the SHS Alumni Series,  The Sentinel chose a graduate from the class of 2012 – one of the first graduating classes of Sunnyvale High School. In his time at SHS, Bobby Luka made a name for himself as a student with astounding talent in both athletics -namely Raider Basketball – and academics, while also managing to soundly establish himself in various extracurricular events. With such experience and as one of the earliest graduates of SHS, The Sentinel asked Bobby to be the next addition to our Alumni Series.

1.What was your high school experience like and what activities were you involved in?

“I had a great high school experience. I was actively involved in athletics, UIL academics, and the National Honors Society, all of which made my high school experience more memorable.”

2.How did you ultimately choose the college you attended? What factors contributed to your decision?

“I attended Texas A&M University. I heard a lot about the Mays Business School and had a large group of friends heading to College Station from my Sunnyvale graduating class. This helped with the transition from a tiny school to one of the largest schools in the state of Texas.”

3.How did Sunnyvale prepare/not prepare you for your college experience?

“More than anything, Sunnyvale prepared me for college level courses through its dual credit program. Having the opportunity to take over 30+ hours of college credits before graduation helped prepare me for the difficult classes that I was thrown into my first semester at A&M. The dual credit program even helped me graduate a full year early and save on a year’s worth of tuition and housing.”

4.What did you enjoy about your university experience at the college you went to and the activities you were involved in? If you were in any clubs or teams, how was that experience like? Was it what you expected?

“A&M is well-known for their many traditions. These traditions and the people I met along the way made my college experience so great. There was nothing about Texas A&M that I did not absolutely love. I did not know what to expect coming in, but looking back I can’t see myself bleeding anything but maroon.”

5.What are you currently doing? (graduate school, internships, work force, etc)

I currently work as a Financial Consultant for a firm in downtown Houston.”

6.What advice do you have for seniors that are currently applying to colleges? How did you stop yourself from feeling overwhelmed?

“Spend time visiting and experiencing the culture of the schools that you are applying to. Take a tour of the campus, attend an athletic outing, and just try your best to picture yourself there. If you don’t see the fit, check out other schools.”

The Sentinel sends its thanks to Bobby for helping us create this story!

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

News

Raider Cheer Takes 5th in State

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

Showcase

Winter Athletic Round-Up

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

Entertainment

Sunnyvale’s Got Talent

• Opinions

No ‘No Shave November’ at SHS

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

Features

Friday Night Life

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

News

Mock Election Teaches Political Lessons

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

News

Raiders Take a Day to Honor

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

News

Homecoming Traditions Alive at SISD

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

Features

SHS Homecoming Coronation Nominees

• SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka

Showcase

Raiders Look Beyond Ranking and Prepare to Win the Day

SHS Alumni Series: Bobby Luka