The student news site of Sunnyvale High School

The Sentinel

A Review: Shrek the Musical

Jordyn Whitley

Take a belching green ogre, played by Ethan Armstrong, a beautiful princess played by Jadee Hankins, a comical, talking donkey played by Lori Mcdermett, then pair it with awesome music, and beautiful dancing, and watch a movie theatre box office hit come to life right here at Sunnyvale. Shrek the Musical by the SHS theatre department is a reminder to be you, embrace others’ differences, and value genuine friendships.

The show starts out in the village with Shrek and his parents telling him that there are big things that can be done in this world but not by him because his is too ugly and people will be afraid of him. So they send him away and Shrek ends up living alone in a nasty swamp, far away from judgement.  One day out of the blue, a group of fairy tale creatures trespass into Shrek’s swamp.  These creatures were banished from the kingdom of Duloc by Lord Farquaad.  They beg Shrek to go see the Farquaad so they can return to their home.  Shrek hesitantly agrees to help them in exchange for them getting out of his swamp when he returns.

As Shrek’s journey to Duloc begins, he meets Donkey, an annoying, talkative furry creature who has a bright outlook on life which annoys Shrek.

When the onion-layered ogre, Shrek, and the talking Donkey meet Farquaad, played by Griffin Shoemaker, they are told that the only way to get the intruders off his land, is for Shrek to agree to be little Lord Farquaad’s knight and rescue a beautiful princess, Fiona, played by Jadee Hankins. Fiona though, is trapped in a  tower surrounded by lava and a fire-breathing dragon.

How couldshrek-rehersal a princess be locked up in a tower for 20 years you ask? Why she is under a spell of course. She counts the days and nights hoping that her true love will come save her. But little do you know she has a secret. By day she is a beautiful princess but by night she turns into a hideous ogre.  The only way to break the curse is true love’s kiss.  After Shrek fights the dragon to save Fiona, Shrek and Fiona discover they have a lot more in common than just belches and gas-passing contests, but they share a love that will break the curse and cause Fiona to take on her true form as a beautiful ogre.

Throughout this play, we see how the characters are twisted inside out to let their “freak flag fly”, conquer their fears and learn to love themselves for who they are and to love others for the content of their character and not the greenish color of their skin.

Helayana Barber, Lauryn Statham, Austin Norsworthy, Landry Hunter, Kayla Rabb, Landon Wolfe, Kasi Justice, Ashley Diaz, Morgan Mccullough, Max Anderson, Lili Anthony, Sidney Williams, Hayden Anderson, Jonathan Williams, Mckinley Ream, Blake Patterson, Emily Stevens, and Olivia Ranta all played fairy tale creatures who sang and danced their way into our hearts throughout the show.

The costume team led by Madi Wilson and assisted by Caitie Wells, Logan Westmoreland, Joanna George, and Madeline Hanson was outstanding. The picturesque set design courtesy of junior Sarah Abraham, who was assisted by Cambelle Starnes, Joanna George, Madeline Hanson, Tony Easo, and Griffin Shoemaker set the scene of the musical perfectly and transformed audience into a fairy tale world. .

Mrs. C, head of the theatre department, directed the production which went on for crowded  audiences each night. I found  this musical to be just as enjoyable if not more than the movie itself.  During this family show, the audience laughed and watched with great anticipation to see what was going to happen next. This play had you crying, laughing, and realizing that if you’re a weirdo to just let your freak fly high and stay true to yourself.

A Review: Shrek the Musical